In a letter to Deputy Secretary of Defense Dr. Ashton Carter, Dr. Coburn calls on DOD to eliminate unnecessary jobs and programs that have little to do with defense including:
- Eight employees who serve on the Board of Geographic Names, which names streams, mountains, hills, and plains across the United States.
- A 46-minute video production called Grill It Safe featuring grill sergeants showing off their own recipes.
- $1 million on developing a plan to send a space ship to another solar system.
- $1.5 million to procure beef jerky advancements from France.
- $6 billion on questionable, duplicative and unnecessary research, including $5.2 million to determine what lessons about democracy and social decision-making could be learned from fish.